Upcoming Events at LAS-ELC - 100th anniversary Gala! - Thursday Sept. 22, 2016 MORE
Gender Equity & LGBT Rights
The LAS-ELC’s Gender Equity & LGBT Rights Program is dedicated to promoting gender equity and advancing the rights of low-wage women and families, lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender (LGBT) individuals, survivors of domestic and sexual violence, pregnant women, caregivers, military families and veterans, and other under-represented workers and students.
The Gender Equity & LGBT Rights Program maintains the following projects:
- Project SURVIVE, which ensures that people who experience domestic violence, sexual assault, and/or stalking can keep their jobs or maintain economic security while seeking safety, medical, or legal help.
- Fair Play for Girls in Sports, which promotes the health, well-being, education, and future employment opportunities for low-income girls in grades K–12 by ensuring equal athletic opportunities in programs provided by public schools and state Parks and Recreation programs.
- The Sexual Harassment Project, which protects the rights of low-wage workers who are victims of harassment based on sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, or sexual orientation.
- The LGBT Rights Project, which helps low-income workers address discrimination, harassment, and other problems at work because of their sexual orientation, gender identity or gender expression.
- The Healthy Mothers Workplace Coalition, a collaboration of non-profit organizations, government agencies, and employers created to improve the working conditions and health of new parents.
- The Veterans and Military Families Employment Project, which is dedicated to the employment rights and barriers to employment faced by military veterans and their families.
The Gender Equity and LGBT Rights Program provides assistance and legal advice to workers through the following helplines:
- Project SURVIVE (888) 864-8335.
- Work & Family Project (800) 880-8047
- Fair Play (877) 593-0074
We also provide self-help tools, fact sheets, and other reference materials in English, Spanish, Chinese, and Vietnamese.